1. We liked the first Alt-J album, An Awesome Wave, but we love (love!) round two. This Is All Yours was released last month, and we can’t get enough of it. Hold out for the secret song (track 14) – it’s a cover of Bill Wither’s tune Lovely Day. 2. We’ve been fascinated with The National for years now, and seeing them at the Orpheum in 2011 is probably one our best live music memories. Mistaken for Strangers is a documentary created by lead singer Matt’s slacker brother Tom..and it’s incredible. 3. We’ve been lusting after a pair of Urbanears headphones for quite some time. We’re hoping if we hint enough someone will put a pair under the tree in a couple of months. 5. We Are Revellers is local photographer Kim Jay’s celebration of festival goers. Click here to learn more, and keep your eye out for Rifflandia 2014 portraits!
Who says flowers are for spring?
1. We heard the lovelies from Rook & Rose are teaming up with The Hive to bring the pretty to Rifflandia. Stop by their beauty booth at RAP for some hair magic and a free flower crown! 2. We know we mention Rifle Paper Co. a lot, but would you look at these books?? We’ve already placed our order. 3. We’re obsessed with the free desktop downloads designlovefest posts on the regular. 4. There’s more to Urban Outfitters than high waisted denim and crocheted crop tops. Their apartment section is to die for, in particular their bedding. We love this floral duvet.
We spent last weekend in our other favourite city, Vancouver. Here’s what a few hours in Gastown looks like!
1. A bottle of wine, caprese salad, lobster risotto…it was a lunch to die for. We’ll be back, The Flying Pig. Find The Flying Pig at 1168 Hamilton Street. 2. Old Faithful Shop is a modern general store stocked with high quality pieces that are sure to become lifelong favourites. The quirky staff make for an entertaining browse at 320 W Cordova Street. 3. We’ve been buying our frames online for so long we don’t remember the last time we tried on a million pair in an actual store. Bailey Nelson is brand new to the Great White North, and they fit right in at 303 Cambie Street. Their stylish frames are light, comfortable, and incredibly affordable. We’re told an online shop is coming soon, but why not pop in and say hello to a human for a change? 4. Alibi Room is a cool brunch by day/beer by night tavern in a wide open industrial space adorned with attractive young hipsters. Stop by at 157 Alexander Street.
We should really add a fifth favourite here – Harbour Air. We’re far from high rollers, so here’s a budget friendly travel tip – keep an eye on Harbour Air seat sales a couple of days before your trip. On the Thursday before we traveled, a single return ticket was only $126, all in. That’s like the same as a Pirate Pack on the ferry, right?
It’s hot. Here are four cool ways to feel the heat.
1. Are you human? Then you know that swimsuit shopping sucks. Vancouver-based Nettle’s Tale gets that, and we love what they stand for – empowering women to not just accept themselves, but sincerely love themselves. They do it with locally made, thoughtfully designed swimsuits for women from all walks of life. 2. We like the idea of a tattoo, but we have commitment issues. Tattly offers awesome temporary tattoos that range from fun and quirky to powerful and beautiful. We love their recent collaboration with the lovelies that are Rifle Paper Co. You might just see us sporting some new ink this summer. 3. Three words: awesome festival hair. 4. These days we’re all about Lykke Li’s latest album, Never Learn. We can’t wait to see her perform at Squamish Valley Music Festival (where we’ll be rockin’ our awesome festival hair).
Guys, summer’s here.
1. We’ve pretty much vowed to never do a juice cleanse (seriously, it’s in writing) but the ma-luxe ladies have us reconsidering. Check out their review of the Vancouver-based Juice Truck and you too may be swayed. 2. This hat is a fair-skinned girl‘s best friend. And we don’t want to hear the ‘I look terrible in all hats’ moan – this cap is the universal exception. 3. You live for Fol Epi‘s bread and you lust for their pane chocolate, but have you had their organic soft serve vanilla bean ice cream in a fresh waffle cone? They’re serving ’em up all summer long! 4. Bangles, bangles, bangles. Leah Alexandra has all your summer (not to mention, fall, winter and spring) jewelry essentials. We can’t get enough of her bright, happy colours. Available online or in Victoria at Violette Boutique. 5. It’s important to stay hydrated on that sunny patio. These fruit ice cubes will jazz up that water (or gin, or vodka…)